Australia Luxury Campervan and Motorhome Rental. We Answer Your
Frequently Asked Questions.

6 Berth Maui River Elite Motorhome

6 Berth Maui River
Elite Motorhome

Under 2 years old
4 Berth Britz Explorer

4 Berth
Britz Explorer 

Under 2 years old
4 Berth Apollo Euro Star

4 Berth 
Apollo Euro Star

Under 2 years old
2 Berth Euro Tourer Apollo

Euro Tourer 2 Berth  Apollo

Under 2 years old

FAQs Australia for Luxury Campervan and Motorhome hire:

Insurance options:

We are asked most often to explain the insurance options on campervan and motorhome rental in Australia.

Note: If you choose the All-Inclusive Option then you will have full cover with nil excess. This is usually for a single incident.

All campervan and motorhome are covered by insurance. The level of liability varies depending on the age and size of the vehicle.

The insurance excess (liability) can be as high as AU$7500.00./ If you don't have your own insurance to cover this excess then you will have to leave security to this amount to cover this. The hire company will take security by a credit card payment.

You must have a credit card with high enough credit to cover this.

There are options to reduce the level of liability:

You can reduce the amount of liability by buying other insurance cover either at the same time as you book the campervan or later. You can buy it from the campervan hire supplier; from us, or from an independent insurance provider that specialises in covering security excess on hire vehicles. The cost of this is calculated by each day hired.

There is usually a maximum amount that you have to pay eg 50 days cover will usually cover you for the duration of your hire even if you hire for longer than this.

You can reduce your liability to nil by buying additional insurance cover. This can often be included in the "all-inclusive" rates when you book your campervan hire.

You will still have to pay a bond. This can range from $150.00 to $250.00. This is refundable when the vehicle is returned in a good and clean condition to the correct location.

Each company has different terms and conditions relating to insurance cover. Contact us for full details and if you have any questions at all.

We also have the Questor Insurance cover available to select when you make your booking request. This will cover your insurance liability too.

Australia RV hire
Can I rent from one city to another in Australia?

Yes, you can generally hire from one city to another, no matter where in Australia. There are sometimes additional costs.

A one-way fee or "drop fee". This can sometimes be waived if you hire for longer than 14 to 21 days.

Darwin and Broome surcharges. These are in addition to one-way fees due to their remote location. They can add another AU$800.00 to your rental. These extra charges are always displayed before you book.

Where can we camp at night?

Campsites and Caravan Parks. We strongly recommend you stay in a campsite (caravan (RV) park). Australia has an extensive network of caravan parks in all major tourist centres and most towns.

You can also stay in National Parks. The facilities are not as good but they are all in spectacular locations.

Powered sites enable you to connect your vehicle to electricity. The approximate cost is AU$25-30 per night.

Some companies provide discounts on campsites in Australia through a voucher system.

Australia RV hire
National Parks:

Most National Parks have areas set aside for camping. There are often showers, toilets, barbecues and picnic areas. National parks are also beautiful and peaceful locations to stay overnight. However, national parks do not usually offer powered sites.

Useful link: Natonal Parks in Australia

Roadside Camping: Council laws prohibit camping on the side of the road near towns and cities. However, outside towns and in country areas it is generally permitted. Check with the locals is you are unsure.

Are there heaters?

Yes, most vehicles have onboard heating.

How do I cook?

All campervans have some form of cooking. These are gas powered bench top cookers. There are not usually ovens (furnaces) However, many are equipped with microwaves that will operate when you are "plugged in" to a mains electricity supply.

Fridges: Even the small low-tops or sleeper cars have cool boxes. Larger vehicles have fully functioning fridges that are powered by battery or gas or the mains. (Three way fridges)

Low-tops and Hi-top campervans

You can sleep and eat in these campers. Some have solar showers that you can hang off the back and others offer portaloos. But you are not able to free-camp in these campers.

2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 berth campervans and motorhomes have built in toilets and showers. The casette toilets are clean and easy to use. Empty them regularly by disposing of the contents at "dump stations" on campsites or in public toilets. Hose out each time and replace the blue liquid to keep the odours to a minimum. Keep the fresh water tank topped up.

Water tanks:

There are two tanks:

  • Clean water tank.

    Fill this with the water from taps. Boil it for drinking. This provides water for the shower and for the sink for washing up.

  • Waste water from the shower and the sink is collected in a grey water tank. You must empty this at a dump station on a campsite or at a public dump station.

Some vehicles have on board displays to show how much water is in the tanks.

You must return the campervan with empty grey water tanks and an empty toilet cassette.

Note: If you are in an area where the temperature drops below zero, the water tanks will automatically empty to prevent pipes freezing.


Vehicles are not usually winterised in Australia.

Winterising is the process of draining all water from the tanks and pipes when vehicles are taken to areas where the temperature drops below zero to prevent damage to pipes and tanks. This means that you are not able to use the shower,toilet or sinks.

Australia RV hire
How long do the onboard batteries last?

The batteries provide power for between 12 - 20 hours when fully charged depending on use. There are two sets of batteries in a campervan or motorhome. One is standard that runs the engine and the other set provides you with electricity (power) for all the lights, pumps, shower, fridge etc

These batteries re-charge when you are driving the campervan. They will also re-charge when you are plugged in on a powered campsite. Idling the engine won't provide enough power to recharge the house battery.

When you are connected via a cable on a powered site, all equipment automatically runs on mains power rather than the battery. Appliances such as the television, microwave, rear air-conditioning and power points onlyem> run on mains power.

For the 12 Volt system to work, the 12 Volt main switch must be in the 'on' position. All vehicles can be connected to 240 Volt mains power via the supplied 15 Amp extension lead with large earth pin. All approved caravan park circuits are rated at 15 amps in Australia.

How does the shower work?

Each shower pump uses the battery system on board the campervan. The water is heated via the gas supply from a gas bottle stored in an outside compartment of the campervan. You will be shown this when you collect your campervan.

Please ensure that your water tanks and gas bottles are kept full. There is fresh water on all campsites and parks. Gas bottles can be re-fuelled at most garages, petrol stations.

What is supplied with the vehicle?

This varies from company to company. The more expensive the campervan the more that is included. You will usually have bedding and living equipment such as cooking equipment, eating utensils, bath and tea towels included. If there are any extra charges for these, you will see them listed when you make your booking request.

Campervans and Motorhomes in Australia usually have all the basics included in the price. Sometimes items such as outdoor table and chairs cost extra.

Child restraints/seats. - You will need to ensure that you have child seats booked before hiring. Some companies do not supply these. Please check. Other companies have specific policies that cover child restraints. You may be asked to supply age and weight of your children if child seats or booster seats are required.

Australia RV hire

When you are driving a low-top or hi-top campervan it is just like driving a large car. Don't take the corners quickly and don't try to drive as fast as a car. You are carrying your sleeping and cooking equipment.

The campervans that have onboard showers and toilets are easy to drive too. They have big mirrors for good visibility. Get someone to watch you reverse. The vehicles are longer and higher than cars and you can't always see bollards etc.

Motorhomes with "lutons" the bed that is above the cab, are also easy to drive. These vehicles are easy to manoevre but you will find that they are slower than cars and you need to take corners slower than you would in a car. Watch out when driving close to hedges that you don't bump the overhang above the cab. Also, get someone to watch when you are reversing.

These vehicles all have power assisted steering. The seating position is higher than in a car which gives you a great viewsibility.

Normal rules apply when driving. Watch your speed limit as some restrictions apply.

Useful link: Driving rules in Australia can be found here:


Some companies provide complimentary supplies such as dishwashing liquid, dishcloth, coffee, tea and sugar. However, we recommend stocking up soon after you collect your campervan. Ask at the desk where your nearest supermarket/shop is. Don't forget the essentials such as cooking oil, salt, pepper, butter, milk, bread.

Can I access the internet whilst travelling?

Check with your phone provider. Turn off roaming so that you don't incur charges. It may be cheaper to hire a phone or buy a local sim card for your own phone while you are travelling. There is an abundance of internet hot spots and most campsites offer this facility.

We found a map onlineshowing free wifi hotspots in Australia. There is a few ads on this page but the info seems good. Wifi in Australia

What storage is there?

We strongly recommend you use soft bags instead of suitcases for your luggage. Soft bags take up less room and fit more easily into the storage cupboards and lockers in the vehicle. Some larger vehicles have "garages" big enough for bikes, surf gear etc.

If you are returning your campervan to the depot that you collected it from then there is usually a locked storage area to keep your luggage while you are on your holiday.

Do I need a special driver's licence?

A valid, current car driver's licence must be produced for everyone intending to drive a rental vehicle. State, overseas or international licences are acceptable. However, the licence must be in English or a translation provided.

Is there a spare tyre and will I be able to change it if I need to?

All vehicles come with a spare tyre and equipment needed in the event of a tyre change. You should make sure you have a roadside assistance phone number when you collect your campervan in the rare event you need help.

What is the Cost of Fuel?

Petrol (Gasoline) in Australia comes in unleaded and leaded grades, and is sold by the litre.

Useful Link:Fuel Costs in Australia.

Useful link: Driving rules in Australia:

Where can I drive my campervan or motorhome?

Two Wheel Drive Vehicles can only be driven on sealed/bitumen roads. The only exception to this is the last remaining kilometres of loose road surface on recognised campground access. Please check when you collect your campervan that there are no roads you are not permitted to drive on. There are some roads in Australia that you are not permitted to drive on. These do change depending on the time of year.

Four Wheel Drive Vehicles can be driven on recognized unsealed tracks, but some remote areas are restricted as specified in the Terms and Conditions. Some companies occasionally have to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.

Is there an iPod, mP3, cd player in the motorhomes and campervans?

Most campervans and motorhomes can play MP3 and CDs. Newer vehicles have usb connections.

Digital travel: Most cameras are now digital. You can store your photos on the cloud when travelling or buy extra sd cards. Travelling with a small lap top or notebook can enhance your journey by searching information on your destination.

Terms and conditions.

These are full and comprehensive. They are listed on the booking page when you make your booking and there is a link at the bottom of the page where you put in your payment details. Read these before you make your booking. Please ask if you need anything explained further.

Is there a minimum rental period.

Yes, usually 5 days. This can be longer over peak season during Christmas. Check as vehicles may need to be re-located quickly so a shorter term may be available.

Are there cancellation fees?

Some fees may apply if you cancel your rental booking.

What are toll roads, and do I have to pay to use them?

Toll roads are roads which charge a fee in exchange for access through to your destination. You will likely pass through toll roads if you are driving your campervan through metropolitan Queensland, New South Wales or Victoria. Watch out for the toll on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and also around Melbourne.

Useful link:

You are responsible for paying toll fees, so it is important to be aware of these roads before you travel.

Will someone show me how to use everything?

Yes. You will have a dedicated staff member take you on a tour of the vehicle when you arrive at the branch. They will ensure that you are familiar with all of the features before you leave. For some basic information about operating the vehicle, please read the rental guide. Make sure you know how the vehicle works before you leave the depot. At busy times at peak season the introduction session may be quite quick. But, you can always call the depot to ask questions once you are on the road if you are unsure of anything. The vehicles have operating instructions included in the glove box usually.

Is there internet at the collection branches?

Most campervan and motorhome hire suppliers provides free internet at most of the branches.

Are there bike racks?

It is unlikelythat in Australia that bike racks are provided. The bikes get damaged by the bull-dust and storing them inside the vehicle also causes damage. Many campsites rent bikes. If you take your own bikes then store them in bike bags or in the garage area of the campervan.

Mileage options:

Vehicles are hired with unlimited mileage included in the hire.

Extra driver fee:

Check to make sure that if there is more than one driver that you have additional insurance to cover all additional drivers.

Driver age:

Most companies will not hire to drivers under 21 but there are some exceptions. There is not usually an upper age limit as long as the driver has a valid driving licence.

Local taxes:

Taxes are included in all quotes for campervan and motorhome rental in Australia.

Bedding and kitchen

Equipment is included in the daily rental rate. If they are not then they are listed as extra charges. Most companies include them in the costs of the rental.


This is sometimes offered as as additional hire option. You can take your own GPS device and download the appropriate regional maps.

Outback Fee:

This is an extra charge on the daily rate if you are travelling to remote areas of Australia. Not all companies charge this.

Tables and Chairs:

These can be hired but it is often cheaper to buy them at a local store.

Tyre Waiver:

You need to check that your insurance covers tyre replacement. You can pay additional insurance to cover windscreen and tyre damage. This is because many of the roads that you can travel on in Australia are not "sealed" or tarmacced.


Most campervans and motorhomes have air-conditioning in the driver's cab that operates when driving. Additional air-conditioning in the rear of the vehicle is offered in some cases at an additional charge. This will not operate until you are on a mains electrical supply. So, an electrical hook up in a campsite or connected to the mains supply at a house or hotel.

What happens if we breakdown?

Every company that you find on our booking system offers full breakdown cover. We work with companies that have additional vehicles available in case the camper needs to be replaced.

What Do I do if I have an Accident?

Please phone the depot immediately and make them aware of the details. You will be given a phone number to call when you collect your campervan.

How Do I Get To the Depot?

There are very few campervan companies offering free transfers from the airport or downtown to the depot. Please check that you take the address with you on your confirmaiton voucher and make your own way to the depot.

Collection Procedure - what happens?

When you arrive at the depot you will be asked to supply your booking reference number, a credit card and your driving licence.

Some companies will offer online check-in which speeds up the process.

You will be asked to fill in and sign a rental agreement.

Your credit card will be processed to cover any insurance excess or a bond.

You will be shown around the campervan or motorhome that you have rented and be shown where everything is and how to operate the appliances, toilet and shower.

It is important that you are familiar with everything before you leave the depot and understand the basics. There is a handbook and a contact phone number if you are unsure about anything after you have left the depot.

How do I save money on my hire?

Book early. Some companies put the prices up the nearer you get to pick up date. Book early and those prices are fixed.

Book for longer. Check out the over 21 day rate and the over 35 day rate. It is always worth having a look before you book as you may be able to go for longer for the same amount of money.

Older vehicles are cheaper than newer ones.

Larger vehicles are more expensive than smaller ones.

Avoid one-way hires that are less than 14 days in length.

Watch out for our special discounts and offers that are updated daily on our website..

Watch out for our special discounts and offers that are updated daily on our website. Discounts on Campervan and Motorhome Rental in Australia

Travel outside of high season.

Book early ( I think I said that before, but it's the best way!)

Every day counts as one day't rental. Try to arrange to collect the campervan early and return late to make the best deal. It is not like car hire which is based on the time you collect and return.

If you have any questions, please ask us. We are here to help.

Click for contact details We have freephone numbers in many countries.

Also check out our special offers and discounts here

20+ Years

We are very experienced. After 20 years arranging campervan and motorhome hire for our clients we are very good.

Payment Methods

Need help or have a question? Contact Us

UK Freephone: 0800 917 4347