66 Bookshops on Route 66
The bookshops we’ve featured vary in size, and range from quintessential neighborhood used bookshops to specialists dedicated to subjects like children’s books, history, mysteries, architecture, theology, alternative religions and cooking. Get your motor running, head out on the highway and discover some amazing used and rare bookshops in America’s heartland.
“The people are in flight, and they come into 66 from the tributary side roads, from the wagon tracks and the rutted country roads. 66 is the mother road, the road of flight.” — John Steinbeck -The Grapes of Wrath
66 Bookshops on Route 66:
1. Howard’s Books – 2000 Maple Street, Evanston, IL 60201
Howard’s Books is the quintessential neighborhood used bookshop close to Northwestern University. If a book has been in the shop for more than a year it’s half price.
2. Amaranth Books – 828 Davis Street, Evanston, IL 60201
Just down the road from Howard’s, this shop also offers CDs and DVDs, and has been around for 20+ years.
3. The Book Den – 1043-B Chicago Avenue, Evanston, IL 60202
Small but packed with books. Literature, history, anthropology, women’s studies, books on tattoos and more.
4. Chicago Rare Book Center – 703 Washington Street, Evanston, IL 60202
A treasure trove of collectable books. You’ll see amazing books priced in four and five figures.
5. The Armadillo’s Pillow – 6753 N. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL 60626
Expect the unexpected in this quirky shop. Lots of beautiful but highly uncommon books.
6. Bookworks – 3444 N Clark, Chicago, IL 60657
A little bit of everything including rare recordings. Parking around the back.
The Route Itself
Route 66 no longer exists but you can still trace the route of the old road, most of which is still drivable. It crosses eight states, three time zones, and covers 2,448 miles (about 4,000 km). John Steinbeck described Route 66 as the “Mother Road” and that stuck as one of its many nicknames.
7. Gallery Bookstore – 923 W. Belmont Avenue, Chicago, IL 60657
Established in 1927, this general used bookshop offers a hefty dose of rare magazines and ephemera. Check out the specialist section for mystery, science fiction and horror.
8. Booklegger’s Used Books – 2907 N. Broadway, Chicago, IL 60657
Walk in and the shelves seem to go on and on. Used books galore from first editions to affordable paperbacks.
9. Round Table Books – 1826 S. Indiana Avenue, Chicago, IL 60616
Offers rare and collectable books, particularly in history, art, Arthurian history and literature, Napoleonic biography and poetry. Closed Sundays.
10. Powell’s Bookstores Chicago – 1501 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL 60637
It’s impossible to be in Chicago without visiting Powell’s in Hyde Park where you will find a vast array of scholarly books. They have another shop on the University of Illinois Chicago campus.
11. Hooked on History – 350 W. Kensington Road, #108, Mt. Prospect, IL 60056
Established in 1988, the founding principle of this shop is to provide quality collectable history books at affordable prices. Lots of American history with a strong focus on military history
12. Brain Snacks – 5239 Carpenter Street, Downers Grove, IL, 60515
Open on Fridays and also by appointment only. Since 1994, Brain Snacks has specialised in mystery, science fiction and fantasy, and romance.
John Steinbeck was inspired to write The Grapes of Wrath during a 1937 drive along Route 66. The book’s title was suggested by his wife, Carol, taken from the Battle Hymn of the Republic: “Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord; He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored.”
13. Bookhunters Books & Comics – 548 South Route 59, Naperville, IL 60563
Located in a busy shopping center, Bookhunters, which opened in 2012, combines comics and graphic novels with books on religion, theology, philosophy, literature and scholarly subjects.
14. Bobzbay – 419 North Main Street, Bloomington, IL 61701
Used books and quirky media, and lots of science fiction and fantasy. This shop is not dull and look out for the bright yellow Bobzbay van.
15. Novel Ideas – 480 E Main Street, Decatur, IL, 62523
From Bloomington, take a short detour to Decatur and see Novel Ideas where you will find more than 20,000 books in a shop that’s been open for over 25 years.
16. Prairie Archives – 522 East Adams Springfield, IL 62701
In business since 1973 and at this location since 1992. Approximately 250,000 books, documents, manuscripts, posters, prints, comics, collectables, magazines, postcards and more.
17. Books on the Square – 153 East Jackson, Virden, IL 62690
About 20 miles south of Springfield. They opened in 1993 and today it consists of three buildings full of used and collectable materials.
18. The Sly Fox – 123 North Springfield Street, Virden, IL 62690
This independent bookshop specialises in children’s books, mysteries, books about Illinois, and books for reading groups.
19. Hammonds Antiques & Books – 1939 Cherokee Street, St. Louis, MO 63118
This St. Louis shop has been around for 30 years. Lots of rare, used and out-of-print books plus a huge library of paper articles on subjects from the 1850s to 1960s.
20. Dunaway Books – 3111 South Grand Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63118
Housed in a former gallery, Dunaway Books caters for scholars, collectors and readers. Lots of small press titles and local literature.
Mark Twain National Forest
A possible detour is to visit the Mark Twain National Forest, which is south of the road between St. Louis and Springfield. It was established in 1939 and named after Missouri’s most famous son. The 350-mile Ozark Trail system winds through the forest.
21. The Book House, Inc. – 7352 Manchester, Maplewood, St. Louis, MO 63143
This shop is housed in an old department store building in the historic business district of downtown Maplewood. You will find an eclectic mix of rare, out-of-print, new, and used books.
22. Patten Books – 10202 Manchester, Kirkwood, MO, 63122
Keith and Nancy Patten offer around 50,000 quality used books. Open Tuesday to Saturday in the suburbs of St. Louis.
23. STL Books – 100 W Jefferson Avenue, Kirkwood, MO 63122
A small community bookshop dedicated to reading and the literary arts in St. Louis. They specialise in high quality literature for adults and children.
24. ABC Books – 2109-J N. Glenstone, Springfield, MO 65803
Established in 1989, ABC offers more than 100,000 new and used books, including textbooks. Closed on Sundays.
25. Half Price Books of the Ozarks – 1950 S. Glenstone Avenue, Suite O, Springfield, MO 65804
New and used books covering romance, westerns, sci-fi, cookbooks, history, classics, horror and mysteries.
26. Hooked on Books – 2756 S Campbell Avenue, Springfield, MO 65807
Another one in Springfield. More than 100,000 used, rare and out-of-print gems. Located in the Village Shopping Center behind Andy’s Frozen Custard. They have another location in Ozark.
27. Nixa Book Mark – 409-2 Northview Road, Nixa, MO 65714
A small, friendly shop stocked with over 30,000 books but a strong focus on paperback fiction.
Ernest Hemingway’s Birthplace & Museum
In the Chicago suburb of Oak Park, you can visit Ernest Hemingway’s childhood home and a nearby museum which displays photographs, family artifacts, writings and memorabilia from the great man’s life.
28. Sleepygirl’s Used Books – 516 N Main, Joplin, MO 64801
In business since 1999, Sleepygirl started out online but expanded to a physical shop in 2003 which was destroyed by a tornado in 2011. Like true survivors, they bounced back with a new shop.
29. Coffee Break Book Store – 322 Buss Lane, Pineville, MO 64856
Used books and a Cuppa Joe. A good place to spend a few hours after touring the nearby Pea Ridge National Military Park. Contains a separate children’s room.
30. Gardner’s Used Books – 4421 South Mingo Road, Tulsa, OK 74146
Oklahoma’s largest used bookshop, Gardner’s has approximately 23,000 square feet of books, comics, DVDs, CDs/records, video games and collectables.
31. Oak Tree Books – 2812 East 15th Street, Tulsa, OK 74104
Lots of books about Oklahoma, the early days of the American West as well as plenty of first editions.
32. Peace of Mind Bookstore – 1401 E. 15th Street, Tulsa, OK, 74120
One of America’s largest collections of occult, New Age and metaphysical books. Also carries herbs, stones, crystals, incense, runes and tarot cards.
33. Rod’s Books & Relics – 10 E. 2nd Street, Sand Springs, OK 74063
A cosy little bookshop offering, children’s books, cookbooks, Western Americana, and science fiction and fantasy.
34. Archives Books – Oxford Pointe, 1914 East 2nd Street, Edmond, OK 73034
Established in 1989, Archives is a pioneer of online bookselling. Pop into their shop for a huge array of used book bargains.
35. Second Chance Books & Comics – 3909 North MacArthur, Warr Acres, OK 73122
The largest used bookshop in the Oklahoma City area (250,000 books) and a full service comic book shop, including Manga and graphic novels.
“If you ever plan to motor West, travel my way, take the highway that’s the best. Get your kicks on Route 66. It winds from Chicago to LA. More than 2,000 miles all the way. Get your kicks on Route 66.”
— Bobby Troup, whose 1946 song was first performed by Nat King Cole
36. Tome on the Range – 158 Bridge Street, Las Vegas, NM 87701
New books, modern first editions, children’s books, cookbooks, and mysteries from this picture-perfect small town shop in New Mexico’s Las Vegas.
37. Maya Jones Books – 500 N Guadalupe Street, Santa Fe, NM 87010
A wide selection of general used and antiquarian books with a specialty in Latin Americana and Western Americana. Located at the Traveler’s Market inside the de Vargas Mall.
38. Gunstock Hill Books – 239 Johnson Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501
Located close to the Georgia O’Keefe Museum on the historic Santa Fe Plaza, this is a boutique bookshop specialising in old, rare and collectable books.
39. Big Star Books – 329 Garfield Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501
From the outside, this building looks like a storybook house but this small white and blue bookshop is filled with used books.
Ernie Pyle House & Library
In Albuquerque, you can visit the Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist’s house. Ernie Pyle was famed for his writing about small town America and his reporting from World War II where he died in combat.
40. op.cit. books – 500 Montezuma Ave, Santa Fe, NM 87501
Located in the Sanbusco Marketplace, op.cit carries new and used books, and modern first editions, and a great selection of remainders. Ideal for early risers, this place opens at 8am.
41. Under Charlie’s Covers – 160 South Camino Del Pueblo, Bernallilo, NM 87004
Forty minutes north of Albuquerque. Lara Harrison named this shop after her father, a journalist who always wanted to open a bookshop. Charlie’s dream never came true but his collection became the basis for Lara’s bookselling business.
42. Bonnie’s Books – 9311 4th Street NW Albuquerque, NM 87114
A small used bookshop with an interesting selection of children’s books.
43. Page 1 Books (aka Page One Too) – 5850 Eubank Blvd. NE, Suite B41, Albuquerque, NM, 87111
Inside the Mountain Run Shopping Center, Page 1 Books is the largest independent bookshop in New Mexico, and offers new and used books.
44. Blue Eagle Metaphysical Emporium – 2422 Juan Tabo Blvd NE, Albuquerque, NM 87112
This bookshop specialises in alternative spiritualties, primarily Wicca and pre-Christian paths, as well as Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism. They also offer books on astrology, alternative self-help and health.
45. Title Wave Books – 2318 Wisconsin Street, NE Albuquerque, NM 87110
Title Wave offers everything from literature to cooking, children’s books to political science – 100,000 books in 400 categories. Open Tuesday to Saturday.
46. Don’s Book Store – 1013 San Mateo SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108
This family-owned bookshop, which opened in 1970, offers more 200,000 paperbacks and hardcovers.
47. Pinon Tree Books – Antique Specialty Mall, 87106 Albuquerque, NM 87106
Located in an antique mall, Pinon Tree Books offers an outstanding selection of books on regional history.
48. Lifeways Books and Gifts – 111 South Cortez Street, Prescott, AZ 86303
A metaphysical and spiritual bookshop located on a busy little street between a burger joint and a clothing shop.
49. The Old Sage Bookshop – 110 S Montezuma Street # H, Prescott, AZ 86303
Quality used books and a wide selection of titles on the Southwest ranging from children’s books to natural history.
50. Book Nook (aka Star ‘N Space) – 324 W Gurley Street, Prescott, AZ 86301
A small bookshop next to a yoga studio.
51. The Book Shop – 134 N. Citrus Avenue, Covina, CA 91723
Twenty miles east of LA, Brad and Jen Johnson’s shop has more than 40,000 books covering topics from California and the west to literature, military history, cooking, children’s titles and science.
52. Cook Books (aka cookbookjj) – 1353 N. Hill Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91104
Janet Jarvits’ legendary shop contains more than 30,000 used, rare and out-of-print cookbooks. Chaotic but fascinating, this is a must-stop place for foodies.
53. Book Alley – 1252 East Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91106
Founded in 1992, this is a general used bookshop (offering 50,000 books) with a large selection of art, architecture, and photography books.
54. Archives Bookshop – 509 E Walnut Street, Pasadena, CA 91101
A theological bookshop that carries more than 75,000 new and used theological books covering religious studies, philosophy, theology and biblical studies.
55. The Battery Books & Music – 1005B Mission Street, South Pasadena, CA 91030
This shop offers a wide and eclectic selection of books and music plus clothing and jewelry from local artisans, and live music too. Spanish language books too.
56. Read Books – 4972 Eagle Rock Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90041
A small highly organised shop offering used books and new magazines. Also does events and has signed books and first editions.
57. Mystery and Imagination (aka Bookfellows Fine Books) – 238 North Brand Blvd., Glendale, CA 91203
Owned by Malcolm and Christine Bell, this shop has offered books on mystery, detective, science fiction, fantasy and horror since 1975. Closed Sundays and Mondays.
58. Alias Books East – 3163 Glendale Blvd., Los Angeles CA 90039
Located in the heart of Atwater Village, Alias Books carries a wide variety of used books with an emphasis on literature, film and the arts.
59. Bookfinger – 620 Moulton Avenue #113, Los Angeles CA 90031
Located at The Brewery, an artists’ colony, in Lincoln Heights near Chinatown. Used and out-of-print art, photography and design books. Also LPs. Open Thursday to Saturday.
60. Counterpoint Records & Books – 5911 Franklin Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90028
Below the Hollywood sign. Books on the arts, literature, poetry, film, stage, and philosophy with a wide variety of other categories. Also lots of classical, jazz and rock records.
61. Books on the Boulevard – 13551 Ventura Blvd., Los Angeles CA 91423
This shop opened in 1995 and offers hard-to-find, out-of-print, used and rare books. Closed Sundays.
62. Mystery Pier Books – 8826 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood CA 90069
World famous and beautiful. This is where celebrities buy their rare books. Pop in and you might be rubbing shoulders with Johnny Depp. Signed, modern firsts, crime and mysteries.
63. Alias Books – 1650 Sawtelle Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90025
Near UCLA, Alias Books has been a West LA fixture since 1959 – Alias Books East is its sister shop. Thousands of titles covering art, literature, academic and scholarly books.
64. Arcana: Books on the Arts – 8675 Washington Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232
New, rare and out-of-print books on 20th century art, architecture, design, fashion, cinema and photography housed in a modern, sleek shop.
65. Sam: Johnson’s Bookshop – 12310 Venice Blvd., Los Angeles CA 90066
Located in a blue building for the past 30 years, this famous bookshop offers a wide selection of used books with plenty of history.
66. Hennessey + Ingalls – 214 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401
Founded in 1963 and dedicated to the visual arts, this shop is filled with used, rare and out-of-print books about art, architecture, design, fashion and photography.
RV, Motorhome and Campervan Rental USA. Planning a Roadtrip.
Dreaming of a RV Rental in the USA Planning A Road Trip across the USA in a campervan? Here is how you do it.
First book your rv rental. There is a huge range to choose from. The large A-class bus like RV’s to the small sleeper cars and everything in between.
You can see the whole range illustrated on our RV Rental Website: Choose the Right RV, Motorhome or Campervan to Rent in the USA
The largest RV is the A-Class Slide Out that sleeps 8 people.
There are smaller Rv’s with one slide from Apollo and Road Bear:
The Standard 6-berth is available to rent from all of the main larger rental companies in the USA:
These 6-berth RV’s or motorhomes are offered by length. Typically a 6-berth would be called a C-30. This is the Cruise America C-30 RV that sleeps 6 people.
The smaller 4-berths are the C-25 RV’s. The 25 refers to its length: 25ft.
The smaller campers, truck campers or van-conversions all have onboard shower and wc:
The smallest campers are the sleeper cars that have a bed and basic cooking facilities:
The sleeping arrangements are always shown on our website. They are usually shown as a diagram:
Every campervan or motorhome that is listed on our website has the day and night-time layouts, the bed sizes and the interior height of the campervan or motorhome. This can be very important if you are planning a long holiday and want to spend time inside the camper.
Renting an RV, Motorhome or Camper van:
Book as far in advance of your holiday as you can. Many RV rental companies offer great discounts to the early birds looking for cheap campervan rental.
Discounts can be found here:Discounts on RV, Motorhome and Campervan hire in the USA
Smaller older campers are cheaper than newer larger RV’s or motorhomes.
For Top Quality Campervans and Motorhomes change the filter to 0-2 years old and the ratings to Superb or Great:
Book securely online.
Our experienced reservations team will work closely with you to get you the right campervan, motorhome or RV at the best rental rates.
When planning your roadtrip and RV rental in the USA you will need to know how many miles your are going to travel and if you plan a long road trip then the unlimited mileage may work out the cheapest option for you. Often customers want a “worry-free” option and choose the unlimited mileage option which can sometimes cost a great deal more than necessary.
To help you calculate mileage we have found a couple of useful distance calculators to help you save money by selecting the correct amount of mileage so that you don’t overpay.
Campsites and RV Parks:
Where will you stay?
Booking ahead sometimes takes away the sense of adventure and freedom to choose when travelling by campervan. But, you need to book ahead if you are going to stay at peak season in a popular location. You also need to book ahead if you want to stay in the massively popular National Parks Campsites.
Here is the link to the USA National Parks Website to book your site.
Commercial Campsites and RV Parks:
- RV, Motorhome, Campervan, Truck-camper and Sleeper Car Campsites:
KOA Kampgrounds of America
- Rv on the go
- USA govt information site on National Parks
- RV Dump Stations in the USA what more is there to be said.
- Good Sam RV Parks and Campgrounds
- Reserve America Campsites
- Go Camping America Campsite Guide
- Pitchup USA Campsite guide
- Camp overnight in a vinyard
- Yellowstone National Park RV Campsite Booking
- Camp Native campsites in the USA
- Reserve America Campsites
Free Overnight camping? Boondocking.
It is perfectly ok to free-camp or wild camp or go boondocking in the USA. You need to be sure that you are allowed to park overnight. We have put together a list of overnight stops where you don’t have to pay. Stay at one of these and you qualify as a boondocker!
Yes, Walmart will allow you to free camp for a couple of nights in their car park.
- Walmart Locations By State.
- Casinos offer free overnight camping:
- Casino Camper
- Truck-stops are free:
- Truck Stop Locations by USA State
- Free Overnight Parking:
- Free overnight Rv Parking
- Free Overnight Parking on Private Property.
- Free Overnight Parking on Private Property.
- Free Overnight Parking at Wineries, Farms and Attractions:
- Free Overnight Parking at Wineries, Farms and Attractions.
- Free campsites
- Camp Overnight for Free at Golf Clubs – membership required.
RV Campsites by State:
Campgrounds by US State.
Some useful links for travellers to the USA.
- Tourist Exchange Rates US$
- Local Time in the USA
- National and local Weather in the USA www.weather.com
- Weather good page but a few too many ads
- USA Govt information site for visa entry
- Know Before You Go. Live updates on travel in the USA from the UK Govt.
- Wikipedia USA info.
Official Tourism Sites by State A-Z
Alabama – AL
Alaska – AK
Arizona – AZ
Arkansas – AR
California – CA
Colorado – CO
Connecticut – CT
Delaware – DE
Florida – FL
Georgia – GA
Hawaii – HI
Idaho – ID
Illinois – IL
Indiana – IN
Iowa – IA
Kansas – KS
Kentucky – KY
Louisiana – LA
Maine – ME
Maryland – MD
Massachusetts – MA
Michigan – MI
Minnesota – MN
Mississippi – MS
Missouri – MO
Montana – MT
Nebraska – NE
Nevada – NV
New Hampshire – NH
New Jersey – NJ
New Mexico – NM
New York – NY
North Carolina – NC
North Dakota – ND
Ohio – OH
Oklahoma – OK
Oregon – OR
Pennsylvania – PA
Rhode Island – RI
South Carolina – SC
South Dakota – SD
Tennessee – TN
Texas – TX
Utah – UT
Vermont – VT
Virginia – VA
Washington – WA
West Virginia – WV
Wisconsin – WI
Wyoming – WY
Official Tourist Board Sites by Popular Cities:
Food on The Road:
Finding a place to eat when you don’t want to cook or when you are just driving is made easier by these online guides:
Download travelsafe app that lists local emergency numbers on your phone and finds your location. Available for both i-phones and android.
- National Parks USA Discount Pass link National Parks USA Discount Pass Application forms
Other Great Links
- Listen to a local radio station in the USA Local radio station by State.
Road Tolls in the USA:
How Do I Pay for Road Tolls in the USA?
One option is to buy an E-ZPass but this only covers road tolls in the following States:
- New York
- Rhode Island
- West Virginia
- North Carolina
- RiverLink – Kentucky / Indiana
List of Road Tolls By State and How To Pay for Them
Check Out these apps in your app store:
- wifi finder
Unusual Visitor Attractions:
Holiday itineraries in USA:
Driving in USA: Driving in The USA for Foreign Tourists
Visit the Grand Canyon on a road trip around the USA. Book a campervan early to take advantage of discounts here. USA Campervan and Motorhome Rental Discounts and Special offers.
I sometimes just post a link to a video without much copy added as the video itself tells the whole story. This couple travel the USA and vlog their travels. This video shows the Class B Motorhome that they live on while free camping or boon-docking around North America.
This is a good insight into how things look in the camper. If you are new to Rv-ing or are considering a rental then this video shows you how comfortable these small homes on wheels are. This vehicle is about the smallest camper with bathroom that we rent out in the USA and Canada. Our rental vehicles are not quite as fully equipped as this custom made model but it does show all the main essentials that all vehicles have.
Apollo Motorhome Holidays
NEW VEHICLE ADDED TO THE APOLLO USA FLEET
Apollo USA Introduce the new Tourer 2 berth with bathroom.
INTRODUCING THE US TOURER AND SATURN RV
Apollo is excited to announce the launch of its newest USA product offering; the US Tourer and Saturn RV.
Built on a the rugged ProMaster 3500 chassis, the 2berth* US Tourer and Saturn RV is a step up from its predecessor the Apollo Euro Tourer, with large windows, a manual 12-inch awning, large queen bed and sleek exterior finish. This BVAN configuration offers simplistic style with everything you need for your next self-drive holiday.
Standard Features include*:
- 9,000 BTU roof mount Air Conditioner
- Bathroom with Shower
- Large Queen bed
- 5.0 cu. Ft refrigerator
- 20’ 9-inch exterior length
- Easy Day to Night configuration
- 12-inch exterior Awning
- Pull out pantry and pot drawer
- 2 burner propane stove
- Automatic propane Heating System
- *Specifications subject to change. Final specifications will be available by 31st Jan 2017.
- These vehicles will be bookable from 16th January 2017 for travel from the 01 May 2017. These vehicles will only be available to/from Los Angeles, San Francisco and Las Vegas.
- Note: Images are for illustrative purposes only- fully imagery, specs available soon.
- Jucy camper van hire all you need to know.
- Jucy camper van hire offers great value. You can book these vehicles online to get the best rates here:
- USA Jucy campervan hire Discounts and Special Deals in the USA in San Francisco, Las Vegas and Los Angeles.
USA RV Rental, Motorhome Hire.
- Renting an RV in the USA is a popular way to see the States. It is extremely well catered for with a high standard of campsites
throughout the country.
- Experience the joy of the open roads that are big and wide to cater for every size of “rig”. The Americans specialise in luxury and
comfort and our links with the Motorhome Rental Companies in America ensure that we can offer every type of rental vehicle from a
large 8-berth RV with slide out to a small camper fit for two on a budget.
- Your first choice that you have to make is where to pick up and drop off your RV. You can pick up and drop off between most of the
major cities in the USA. There are additional charges for this but it may mean that you make better use of your time by renting from
one depot and returning to another. At peak times the
minimum number of days hire is 14 for a one-way rental.
- These are the city depots that we offer:
Albequerque, Atlanta, Alaska, Baltimore, Bellingham (very close to Vancouver), Billings, Boston, Calabasas (California), Chicago,
Corona, Dallas, Denver, El Monte, Ferndale, Fort Lauderdale, Henderson,Hesperia, Houston, Irvine,
Kingston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Middlebury, Minnapolis, New York, Newark, Newport Beach, Oakland, Orlando, Philadelphia,
Portland, Phoenix, Reno, Sacramento, Salt Lake, San Bernadino, San Diego, San Fransisco, Santa Cruz, Santa Fe, Seattle, Tampa,
Troutville, Victorville, Washington DC.
- The way that rental rates are calculated are a little different in the USA and Canada.
- You will pay for a daily rental rate plus the following:
Mileage: It doesn’t always work out cheaper to select unlimited mileage unless you are travelling a long way over a long time. The
most cost effective way is to work out roughly how many miles you are going to travel (Google Maps is a good tool for this) and then
select the pre-paid mileage option and pay for any additional mileage at the end of your hire.
- Insurance: This is included with a level of excess. You may want to add third-party damage cover too. Full details are on the
website when you are making your selection but if you are unsure, please ask us.
- Vehicle kit: This includes pots, pans, cutlery, crockery etc. Local people tend to take their own but overseas visitors need to
rent it or purchase it.
- Bedding kit: You may want to add extra if you are renting for a longer time.
- Local taxes: These vary depending on the State that you collect your campervan in.
- There are small variations in the list of individual items that you can hire.
Book early as most USA rental companies work on a flex rate so that the earlier you book, the cheaper it is.
- Source and more information: https://www.selkirkloop.org
NEW ENGLAND FALL FOLIAGE MAPS
The dramatic New England fall foliage starts in the northern New England states (Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire) typically in late September and moves down to the southern New England states (Connecticut, Massachusetts Rhode Island) around late October.
Fall foliage maps updated in the autumn season:
- Connecticut Fall Foliage Map
- Maine Fall Foliage Map
- New Hampshire Fall Foliage Map
- Other sources of information:
- The Weather Channel: Fall Foliage Map
- Yankee Magazine Fall Foliage Report
Renting privately may be an option. This is what we discovered.Renting privately in the shared economy.
Travelling Solo? Solo Traveller