Canada Campervan, Motorhome and RV Rental. Frequently Asked Questions.

These vehicles are all rated at between 4 - 5 stars, and are under 2 years old

8 Berth 31 - 32 Motorhome Slide out

8 Berth 31' - 32' Motorhome Slide out

Under 2 years old
A-30-S (A-Luxury) Fraserway

4 adults, 2 children A-30-S (A-Luxury) Fraserway

Under 2 years old
31' Class C Bunk Model Traveland

4 adults, 4 children 31' Class C Bunk Model Traveland

Under 2 years old
5th Wheel Truck Bunk Beds Campervan from Traveland

5th Wheel Truck Bunk Beds Campervan

Under 2 years old

We Answer your Frequently Asked Questions about renting campervans, motorhomes and RV's in Canada

Insurance options:

All campervan and motorhome are covered by a level ofinsurance. The level of liability varies depending on the age and size of the vehicle.

The insurance excess (liability) can be as high as CA$7500.00./ If you don't have your own insurance to cover this excess then you will have to leave security to this amount to cover this. The hire company will take security by a credit card payment.

You must have a credit card with high enough credit to cover this.

What is CDW Insurance?

CDW Collision Damage Waiver. (sometimes referred to as Loss Damage Waiver LDW.) This is the additional insurance that you buy when you rent an rv in Canada. If you damage the vehicle you are liable up to the amount that you pay as a security deposit. If you take out CDW insurance, this covers this insurance excess. Typically the insurance excess is about CA$1500.00. Without CDW insurance you would be liable to pay for damage incurred to the vehicle up to $1500.00.

There are options to reduce the level of liability:

You can reduce the amount of liability by buying other insurance cover either at the same time as you book the campervan or later. You can buy it from the campervan hire supplier; from us, or from an independent insurance provider that specialises in covering security excess on hire vehicles. The cost of this is calculated by each day hired.

There is usually a maximum amount that you have to pay eg 50 days cover will usually cover you for the duration of your hire even if you hire for longer than this.

You can reduce your liability to nil by buying additional insurance cover. This can often be included in the "all-inclusive" rates when you book your campervan hire.

You will still have to pay a bond. This can range from $150.00 to $250.00. This is refundable when the vehicle is returned in a good and clean condition to the correct location.

Each company has different terms and conditions relating to insurance cover. Contact us for full details and if you have any questions at all.

We also have the Drive-Easy insurance cover available to select when you make your booking request. This will cover your insurance liability too.

What is Supplemental Liability Insurance?(SLI)?

Supplemental Liability Insurance?(SLI) covers the driver for damage to other vehicles or property damage. It also covers the driver for damage against a person. This is usually up to CA$1 million.

Can I rent from one city to another in Canada ?

Yes, you can generally hire from one city to another, no matter where in Canada. There are sometimes additional costs.

A one-way fee or "drop fee". This can sometimes be waived if you hire for longer than 14 days.

Darwin and Broome surcharges. These are in addition to one-way fees due to their remote location.

Where can we camp at night?

Campsites and Caravan Parks. We strongly recommend you stay in a campsite (caravan (RV) park). Canada has an extensive network of caravan parks in all major tourist centres and most towns.

You can also stay in National Parks. The facilities are not as good but they are all in spectacular locations.

Powered sites enable you to connect your vehicle to electricity. The approximate cost is AU$25-30 per night.

Some companies provide discounts on campsites in Canada through a voucher system.

National Parks:

Most national parks have areas set aside for camping. There are often showers, toilets, barbecues and picnic areas. National parks are also beautiful and peaceful locations to stay overnight. However, national parks do not usually offer powered sites.

Useful link:Natonal Parks in Canada

Roadside Camping: Council laws prohibit camping on the side of the road near towns and cities. However, outside towns and in country areas it is generally permitted. Check with the locals is you are unsure.

Are there heaters?

Yes, most vehicles have onboard heating.

How do I cook?

All campervans have some form of cooking. These are gas powered bench top cookers. There are not usually ovens (furnaces) However, many are equipped with microwaves that will operate when you are "plugged in" to a mains electricity supply.


Even the small low-tops or sleeper cars have cool boxes. Larger vehicles have fully functioning fridges that are powered by battery or gas or the mains. (Three way fridges)

Low-tops and Hi-top campervans

You can sleep and eat in these campers. Some have solar showers that you can hang off the back and others offer portaloos. But you are not able to free-camp in these campers.

2,3,4,5,6 and 7 berth campervans and motorhomes have built in toilets and showers.

The casette toilets are clean and easy to use. Empty them regularly by disposing of the contents at "dump stations" on campsites or in public toilets. Hose out each time and replace the blue liquid to keep the odours to a minimum. Keep the fresh water tank topped up.

Water tanks:

There are two tanks:

  • Clean water tank. Fill this with the water from taps. Boil it for drinking. This provides water for the shower and for the sink for washing up.

  • Waste water from the shower and the sink is collected in a grey water tank. You must empty this at a dump station on a campsite or at a public dump station.

Some vehicles have on board displays to show how much water is in the tanks.

Note: If you are in an area where the temperature drops below zero, the water tanks will automatically empty to prevent pipes freezing.

How long do the onboard batteries last?

The batteries provide power for between 12 - 20 hours when fully charged depending on use. There are two sets of batteries in a campervan or motorhome. One is standard that runs the engine and the other set provides you with electricity (power) for all the lights, pumps, shower, fridge etc

These batteries re-charge when you are driving the campervan. They will also re-charge when you are plugged in on a powered campsite. Idling the engine won't provide enough power to recharge the house battery.

When you are connected via a cable on a powered site, all equipment automatically runs on mains power rather than the battery. Appliances such as the television, microwave, rear air-conditioning and power points onlyem> run on mains power.

For the 12 Volt system to work, the 12 Volt main switch must be in the 'on' position. All vehicles can be connected to 240 Volt mains power via the supplied 15 Amp extension lead with large earth pin. All approved caravan park circuits are rated at 15 amps in Canada

How does the shower work?

Each shower pump uses the battery system on board the campervan. The water is heated via the gas supply from a gas bottle stored in an outside compartment of the campervan. You will be shown this when you collect your campervan.

Please ensure that your water tanks and gas bottles are kept full. There is fresh water on all campsites and parks. Gas bottles can be re-fuelled at most garages, petrol stations.

What is supplied with the vehicle?

This varies from company to company. The more expensive the campervan the more that is included. You will usually have bedding and living equipment such as cooking equipment, eating utensils, bath and tea towels included. If there are any extra charges for these, you will see them listed when you make your booking request. Campervans and Motorhomes in Canada usually have all the basics included in the price. Sometimes items such as outdoor table and chairs cost extra.

Do you have to wear seatbelts in an RV?

Yes. You will not be able to rent an rv without seatbelts for every passenger.

Child restraints/seats.Child booster seats:

You will need to ensure that you have child seats booked before hiring. Some companies do not supply these. Please check. Other companies have specific policies that cover child restraints. You may be asked to supply age and weight of your children if child seats or booster seats are required.


Can I Drive My RV into America?

Yes you can but it must be returned to Canada. There is no one-way rentals allowed between Canada and the USA even if the same company has depots in both Canada and the USA.

When you are driving a low-top or hi-top campervan it is just like driving a large car. Don't take the corners quickly and don't try to drive as fast as a car. You are carrying your sleeping and cooking equipment.

The campervans that have onboard showers and toilets are easy to drive too. They have big mirrors for good visibility. Get someone to watch you reverse. The vehicles are longer and higher than cars and you can't always see bollards etc.

Motorhomes with "lutons" the bed that is above the cab, are also easy to drive. These vehicles are easy to manoevre but you will find that they are slower than cars and you need to take corners slower than you would in a car. Watch out when driving close to hedges that you don't bump the overhang above the cab. Also, get someone to watch when you are reversing.

These vehicles all have power assisted steering. The seating position is higher than in a car which gives you a great viewsibility.

Normal rules apply when driving. Watch your speed limit as some restrictions apply.

Useful link: Driving rules in Canada can be found here:


Some companies provide complimentary supplies such as dishwashing liquid, dishcloth, coffee, tea and sugar. However, we recommend stocking up soon after you collect your campervan. Ask at the desk where your nearest supermarket/shop is. Don't forget the essentials such as cooking oil, salt, pepper, butter, milk, bread.

Can I access the internet whilst travelling?

Check with your phone provider. Turn off roaming so that you don't incur charges. It may be cheaper to hire a phone or buy a local sim card for your own phone while you are travelling. There is an abundance of internet hot spots and most campsites offer this facility.

We found a map onlineshowing free wifi hotspots in Canada . There is a few ads on this page but the info seems good. Wifi in Canada

What storage is there?

We strongly recommend you use soft bags instead of suitcases for your luggage. Soft bags take up less room and fit more easily into the storage cupboards and lockers in the vehicle.

Some larger vehicles have "garages" big enough for bikes, surf gear etc.

If you are returning your campervan to the depot that you collected it from then there is usually a locked storage area to keep your luggage while you are on your holiday.

Do I need a special driver's licence?

A valid, current car driver's licence must be produced for everyone intending to drive a rental vehicle. State, overseas or international licences are acceptable. However, the licence must be in English.

Is there a spare tyre and will I be able to change it if I need to?

All vehicles come with a spare tyre and equipment needed in the event of a tyre change. You should make sure you have a roadside assistance phone number when you collect your campervan in the rare event you need help.

What is the Cost of Fuel?

Petrol (Gasoline) in Canada comes in unleaded and leaded grades, and is sold by the litre.

Useful Link:Fuel Costs in Canada .

Where can I drive my campervan or motorhome?

Two Wheel Drive Vehicles can only be driven on sealed/bitumen roads. The only exception to this is the last remaining kilometres of loose road surface on recognised campground access. Please check when you collect your campervan that there are no roads you are not permitted to drive on. There are some roads in Canada that you are not permitted to drive on. These do change depending on the time of year.

Four Wheel Drive Vehicles can be driven on recognized unsealed tracks, but some remote areas are restricted as specified in the Terms and Conditions. Some companies occasionally have to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.

Is there an iPod, mP3, cd player in the motorhomes and campervans?

Most campervans and motorhomes can play MP3 and CDs. Newer vehicles have usb connections.

Digital travel.

Most cameras are now digital. You can store your photos on the cloud when travelling or buy extra sd cards. Travelling with a small lap top or notebook can enhance your journey by searching information on your destination.

Terms and conditions.

These are full and comprehensive. They are listed on the booking page when you make your booking and there is a link at the bottom of the page where you put in your payment details. Read these before you make your booking. Please ask if you need anything explained further.

Are there cancellation fees?

Some fees may apply if you cancel your rental booking.

What are toll roads, and do I have to pay to use them?

Toll roads are roads which charge a fee in exchange for access through to your destination.

Useful link:

You are responsible for paying toll fees, so it is important to be aware of these roads before you travel.

Will someone show me how to use everything?

Yes. You will have a dedicated staff member take you on a tour of the vehicle when you arrive at the branch. They will ensure that you are familiar with all of the features before you leave. For some basic information about operating the vehicle, please read the rental guide. Make sure you know how the vehicle works before you leave the depot. At busy times at peak season the introduction session may be quite quick. But, you can always call the depot to ask questions once you are on the road if you are unsure of anything. The vehicles have operating instructions included in the glove box usually.

Is there internet at the collection branches?

Most campervan and motorhome hire suppliers provides free internet at most of the branches.

Are there bike racks?

It is unlikelythat in Canada that bike racks are provided. The bikes get damaged by the bull-dust and storing them inside the vehicle also causes damage. Many campsites rent bikes. If you take your own bikes then store them in bike bags or in the garage area of the campervan.

Mileage options:

Vehicles are hired with unlimited mileage included in the hire.

Extra driver fee:

Check to make sure that if there is more than one driver that you have additional insurance to cover all additional drivers.

Driver age:

Most companies will not hire to drivers under 21 but there are some exceptions. There is not usually an upper age limit as long as the driver has a valid driving licence.

Local taxes:

Taxes are included in all quotes for campervan and motorhome rental in Canada .

Bedding and kitchen equipment is included in the daily rental rate. If they are not then they are listed as extra charges. Most companies include them in the costs of the rental.


This is sometimes offered as as additional hire option. You can take your own GPS device and download the appropriate regional maps.

Tables and Chairs:

These can be hired but it is often cheaper to buy them at a local store.


Most campervans and motorhomes have air-conditioning in the driver's cab that operates when driving. Additional air-conditioning in the rear of the vehicle is offered in some cases at an additional charge. This will not operate until you are on a mains electrical supply. So, an electrical hook up in a campsite or connected to the mains supply at a house or hotel.

What are the costs of renting an RV in Canada and How Much Does it Cost?

The booking engine makes it easy to work out how much it costs to rent an rv in Canada.

First enter the dates of travel. You must spend one night in a hotel if you are arriving in Canada on an international flight. You will not be allowed to collect your campervan on the day of arrival.

Next, put in the age of the driver and where the driving licence was issued.

Select from the top of the page how big an rv that you need. So, if there is two of you, select a 2 berth. All of the rv's will be listed so that you can choose a 4-berth from the list if you want more space.

Click on the "Start Booking" button and there will be a list of options that you can include or leave out. The costs for each are clearly laid out.

Select a pick up and drop off time.

Mileage Options:

Calculate how many miles you may need while on holiday. This can be done easily by using Google Maps and the "Get Directions" option.

Pre-pay for less mileage than you need. It is often not cost effective to buy unlimited mileage unless you are renting for a long time. We can help you calculate the best option.

If you go over the pre-paid mileage allowance you will be charged approximately 0.40c per mile. This is often cheaper than pre-paying for 100 kilometers per day. Unused kilometers are not refunded.

Additional Driver:

The rental rates include insurance for one driver only. Additional drivers have to be paid for.

Bikes and bike Racks are available for a small fee.

Camping Table and Chairs are also offered as an option but you can save by purchasing locally and leaving them behind or giving them to another camper.

Fire Pit - these can be used even if there is a fire ban in place.

Kitchen Kits - these are available for international customers as local customers bring their own.

Pet surcharge. This covers additional cleaning.

Transfers. It is advisable to pre-book transfers. The transfer service collects from hotels and airport hotels. You do not have to be staying at the designated hotels.

The final page lists all the options you have selected with the rates next to them.

The additional taxes and local taxes are listed. In Canada there are local and state taxes.

Preparation fees. These are listed here.

Some payments are only payable locally.

Read the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of this page. The box to agree to these terms has to be ticked to process a booking request.

Why is it only a booking request? books campervans, motorhomes and rv's worldwide. Each country is on a different time zone. We process the booking request once the local offices are open. If the vehicle is available then payment is processed. If the vehicle that you have chosen is not available then we will send you a list of alternatives. No payment is processed until you approve the alternative option.

In the rare event that no vehicle is available for the requested dates then we will decline the request. No payment is processed.

If you are unsure or have questions about any of the additional charges applied to rv rental rates in Canada, please call or email us.

How do I save money on my hire?

Book early. Some companies put the prices up the nearer you get to pick up date. Book early and those prices are fixed.

Book for longer. Check out the over 21 day rate and the over 35 day rate. It is always worth having a look before you book as you may be able to go for longer for the same amount of money.

Older vehicles are cheaper than newer ones.

Larger vehicles are more expensive than smaller ones.

Avoid one-way hires that are less than 14 days in length.

Watch out for our special discounts and offers that are updated daily on our website..

Watch out for our special discounts and offers that are updated daily on our website. Discounts on Campervan and Motorhome Rental in Canada

Travel outside of high season.

Book early ( I think I said that before, but it's the best way!)

If you have any questions, please ask us. We are here to help.

Click for contact details We have freephone numbers in many countries.

Also check out our special offers and discounts here

20+ Years

We are very experienced. After 20 years arranging campervan and motorhome hire for our clients we are very good.

Payment Methods

Need help or have a question? Contact Us

UK Freephone: 0800 917 4347