Frequently Asked Questions Answered about renting 4x4 campers in Zambia

4 Berth 4WD Toyota Hilux 2.4l Camper with 1 Roof Tent

Toyota Hilux (2.4l)
Double Cab - 2 Roof Tents
from Caprivi

Under 3 years old

2 Berth 4WD
BritzĀ 4WD DLE
from Britz

Under 3 years old

We answer your Frequently Asked Questions about renting campervans and motorhomes in Zambia:

Insurance options:

All campervan and motorhome rentals are covered by insurance. The level of liability varies depending on the age and size of the vehicle.

The insurance excess (liability) can be as high as R 45000.00. If you don't have your own insuance to cover this excess then you will have to leave security to cover this. The hire company will take security by a credit card payment. You must have a credit card with a high enough credit to cover this.

There are options to reduce the level of liability.

You can reduce the amount of liability by buying other insurance cover. The cost of this is calculated by each day hired. There is usually a maximum amount that you have to pay. eg 50 days cover will usually cover you for the duration of your hire if you hire is for longer than this.

You can reduce your liability to nil by buying additional insurance cover. This can often be included in the "all-inclusive" rates.

You will still have to pay a bond. This will be approximately R45000.00. This is refundable when the vehicle is returned in a good and clean condition to the correct location.

Each company has different terms and conditions relating to insurance cover. Contact us for full details and if you have any questions at all.

The Drive-Easy insurance cover available to select when you make your booking request. This will cover your insurance liability too.

Zambia 4X4 hire

Are there costs for additional drivers?

Yes, and these are listed when you enquire about the cost of renting a campervan, motorhome or 4x4.

Why do I need a compressor when I rent a camper van in Zambia?

When you are going off-road it is sometimes recommended that you reduce your tyre pressure. Also, it is a handy option to inflate tyres when you are off road as they undergo extra stress when driving on unsealed roads.

Can I rent from Livingstone and Lusaka? in Zambia?

Yes, you can generally hire from one city to another.

There are sometimes additional costs.

You can also rent from one Zambia to other countries. but you will need cross-border documentation. There is an additional charge for this.

You need cross border documentation when travelling between Botswana, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia,South Africa,Sudan, Tanzania. Zambia, Zimbabwe and Swaziland.

There may also be a one-way fee or "drop fee".

Where can we camp at night?

Campsites and Caravan Parks.

We strongly recommend you stay in a campsite (caravan (RV) park). Zambia has a good network of camping parks across the game parks and towns.

You can also stay in National Parks and Game parks. There are designated areas to stay overnight.

Powered sites enable you to connect your vehicle to electricity.

National Parks

Most national parks have areas set aside for camping. There are often showers, toilets, barbecues and picnic areas. National parks do not usually offer powered sites.

Useful link: "Game Parks in Zambia

How do I cook?

All campervans have some form of cooking. These are gas powered bench top cookers. There are no ovens.


Even the small low-tops or sleeper cars have cool boxes. Larger vehicles have fully functioning fridges that are powered by battery or gas or the mains. (Three way fridges)

2, 3, 4 and 5 berth 4x4 campers are offered to rent in Zambia.

There are no toilets or showers in these vehicles. Make sure you keep your water tanks topped up and full whenever possible.

How long does the battery system last?

The battery system will provide power for between 12 - 20 hours when fully charged depending on use. There are two sets of batteries in a campervan or motorhome. One is standard that runs the engine and the other set provides you with electricity (power) for all the lights, pumps, shower, fridge etc

These batteries re-charge when you are driving the campervan. They will also re-charge when you are plugged in on a powered campsite. Idling the engine won't provide enough power to recharge the house battery.

When you are connected to mains power, all equipment automatically runs on mains power rather than the battery. Appliances such as the television, microwave, rear air-conditioning and power points only run on mains power.

For the 12 Volt system to work, the 12 Volt main switch must be in the 'on' position. All vehicles can be connected to 240 Volt mains power via the supplied 15 Amp extension lead with large earth pin. All approved caravan park circuits are rated at 15 amps in Zambia.

Zambia 4X4 hire

What is supplied with the vehicle?

This varies from company to company. The more expensive the campervan the more that is included. You will usually have bedding and living equipment such as bedding, cooking equipment, eating utensils, bath and tea towels included. If there are any extra charges for these, you will see them listed when you make your booking request.

Check Roadside Assistance is included in your rate.

How old do I have to be to hire a camper in Zambia?

You have to be between 21 and 74 years of age.

Child restraints/seats.

You will need to ensure that you have child seats booked before hiring. Some companies do not supply these. Please check when you make a booking request and we will tell you what your options are.


When you are driving a low-top or hi-top campervan it is just like driving a large car. Don't take the corners quickly and don't try to drive as fast as a car. You are carrying your sleeping and cooking equipment.

These vehicles all have power assisted steering. The seating position is higher than in a car so you do have great visibility.

Normal rules apply when driving and watch your speed limit.

Useful link: Driving rules in Zambia can be found here:


Some companies provide complimentary supplies such as dishwashing liquid, dishcloth, coffee, tea and sugar. However, we recommend stocking up soon after you collect your campervan. Ask at the desk where your nearest supermarket/shop is. Don't forget the essentials such as cooking oil, salt, pepper, butter, milk, bread.

Can I access the internet whilst travelling?

Check with your phone provider. Turn off roaming so that you don't incur charges. It may be cheaper to hire a phone or < b>buy a local sim card for your own phone while you are travelling. There is an abundance of internet hot spots and most campsites offer this facility.

What storage is there?

We strongly recommend you use soft bags instead of suitcases for your luggage. Soft bags take up less room and fit more easily into the storage cupboards and lockers in the vehicle.

Some larger vehicles have "garages" big enough for bikes, surf gear etc.

Most depots have a left luggage facility. Use this if you are picking up and returning to the same depot.

Do I need a special driver's licence?

A valid, current car driver's licence must be produced for everyone intending to drive a rental vehicle. State, overseas or international licences are acceptable. However, the licence must be in English characters for staff to read.

Is there a spare tyre and will I be able to change it if I need to?

All vehicles come with a spare tyre and equipment needed in the event of a tyre change. You should make sure you have a roadside assistance number when you collect your campervan in the rare event you need help.

What is the Cost of Fuel?

Petrol (Gasoline) in Zambia comes in unleaded and leaded grades, and is sold by the litre. Petrol and diesel fuel costs between $1.30 AUD and $1.60 AUD per litre and can be higher, particularly in country and remote outback areas.

Useful link:

Where can I drive my campervan or motorhome?

Two Wheel Drive Vehicles can only be driven on sealed/bitumen roads. The only exception to this is the last remaining kilometres of loose road surface on recognised campground access. Please check when you collect your campervan that there are no roads you are not permitted to drive on.

Four Wheel Drive Vehicles can also be driven on recognized unsealed tracks, but some remote areas are restricted as specified in our Terms and Conditions. Some companies occasionally have to restrict vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.

Is there an iPod, mP3, cd player in the motorhomes and campervans?

Most campervans and motorhomes can play MP3 and CDs. Newer vehicles have usb connections.

Digital travel.

Most cameras are now digital. You can store your photos on the cloud when travelling or buy extra sd cards.

Travelling with a small lap top or notebook can enhance your journey by searching information on your destination.

Terms and conditions.

These are full and comprehensive. They are listed on the booking page when you make your booking and there is a link at the bottom of the page where you put in your payment. Please ask if you need anything explained further.

Are there cancellation fees?

Some fees may apply if you cancel your rental booking.

What are toll roads, and do I have to pay to use them?

Toll roads are roads which charge a fee in exchange for access through to your destination.

You are responsible for paying toll fees, so it is important to be aware of these roads before you travel. Check when you collect your campervan if your route requires you to pay tolls and where and how you should pay them.

Will someone show me how to use everything?

Yes. You will have a dedicated staff member take you on a personal tour of the vehicle when you arrive at the branch. They will ensure that you are familiar with all of the features before you leave. For some basic information about operating the vehicle, please read the rental guide.

Is there internet at the collection branches?

Most campervan and motorhome hire suppliers provides free internet at most of the branches.

Are there bike racks?

It is unlikely in Zambia that bike racks are provided. They get damaged by the bull dust and storing them inside the vehicle also causes damage. Many campsites hire them out. If you take your own bikes then store them in bike bags or in the garage area of the campervan.

Mileage options:

Vehicles are hired with unlimited mileage included in the daily rate.

Extra driver fee:

Check to make sure that if there is more than one driver that you have additional insurance to cover additional drivers.

Driver age:

Most companies will not hire to drivers under 21 but there are some exceptions.

Local taxes:

Taxes are included in all quotes for campervan and motorhome rental in Zambia.

Bedding and kitchen equipment are listed as extra charges where they are not included in the daily rate.


This is sometimes offered as as additional hire option. You can take your own GPS device and download the appropriate regional maps.


Air-conditioning operates in the driver's cab that operates when driving.

How do I save money on my hire?

Book early. Some companies put the prices up the nearer you get to pick up date. Book early and those prices are fixed.

Book for longer. Check out the over 21 day rate and the over 35 day rate. It is always worth having a look before you book as you may be able to go for longer for the same amount of money.

Older vehicles are cheaper than newer ones.

Avoid one-way hires that are less than 14 days in length.

Watch out for our special discounts. Discounts and Special Offers on 4x4 camper rentals in Zambia

Travel out of high season.

Book early ( I think I said that before, but it's the best way!)

If you have any questions, please ask us. We are here to help.

Click for contact details We have freephone numbers in many countries.

Also check out our special offers and discounts here

20+ Years

We are very experienced. After 20 years arranging campervan and motorhome hire for our clients we are very good.

Payment Methods

Need help or have a question? Contact Us

UK Freephone: 0800 917 4347